I went to Grail completely lost and desperate for a reprieve from my life. I booked my first trip on a Sunday and arrived at Grail the next day.
What happened here, I will never forget. I stepped out of my comfort zone like only a few other times in my life. This was my first time going away alone. I met a wonderful group of ladies that I still connect with. I cried with strangers and I enjoyed the most wondering treatments. I fully indulged and soaked every second in.
My first time here was life changing.
I've been four times now and each time has been a unique and different experience. I have received what I needed with each visit. The first time I received deep transformation and spiritual ascension. The second trip I was with my partner and we did a few nice things together, including a canoe ride and a couples bonding ceremony. Depending on the season that you visit will also depend on the kind of experience you have. All of my visits have been from November to January. In the summer, I hear that bugs are abundant and people get out and swim and soak up the vitamin D. My third trip was while I was pregnant with my third daughter. I received an incredible reiki treatment on this visit and it really helped me connect with my pregnancy and unborn baby. My final visit so far, was to meet up with three women that I met on my very first trip. This trip was all about friendship and relaxing. It was full of synchronicities, including the dates that the trip was booked. It was literally the same dates two years later, and it was totally random.
I was fortunate enough to get to do horseback riding through the forest on my first visit. They no longer offer this activity because the horses are getting too old and frail. They still offer the horse meditation during the summer months and the horses are out year round to feed and bond with.
This dining room is where everybody gathers to eat. All meals are served by the dining staff and everyone eats together. This is a nice time to get to know the other people present, but you're also welcome to sit alone and not engage should you feel anti-social. They serve a starter, main and desert for all meals, alongside tea and water. All meals are now vegan; they were plant based previously. The meals tend to be heavy on the grains and beans which can cause some bloating and digestion issues in those that are not used to this type of diet, so I recommend letting the administration and kitchen staff know and opting for smoothies or soups instead. During the summer months, you can prearrange to add juices to your meals or substitute your meals with juice should you be looking for lighter meals for weight loss or detox.
The Great Room
This room is probably my favourite place at Grail. It has the coziest couches and blankets, large windows to view the beautiful spring fed lake, and a massive fireplace. This is where the lectures happen nightly at 7 pm and everyone cozies up after dinner with blankets . Each night there are different speakers, topics, themes and discussions. Throughout the day, you can use the use as you wish to relax, read or nap. The photo here is half of the room and doesn't do it justice.
The room has a little station to make your own tea or beverages. It includes ginger, cayenne, cinnamon and turmeric powder, lemon slices and maple syrup. They have an instant hot and cold water hook up right there. Having this so accessible really helps the water intake. This room is meant to be a common room so common sense and respect for others is a top priority. This is also the waiting room for treatments. It's really the everything room.
SUGGESTIONS & TIPS
I'm all about making the most of everything and reducing the 'wish I knew' moments.
- It's a very different experience to go with someone vs. going alone.
- They offer a promotion every now where you can TAKE A FRIEND FOR FREE.
- The best rooms are the ones with KING beds facing the lake. They have nice bathtubs and fireplaces as well.
- I suggest a couple treatments a day. Try new things (like reiki or energy treatments). Highly suggest reiki and coaching with Laura.
- Do the Charka and Energy Biofeedback reading!
- Book your treatments or wish list of treatments well in advance of your trip. They won't let you know your treatment itinerary until you arrive. Because of shifts in the schedules, they let you know shortly after breakfast what your treatments are for that day.
- Watch your digestion. Let the kitchen know if the food isn't sitting well and they will get you lighter options. This is especially important for those doing the colon cleanse.
- You can do add ons - like juices, smoothies or programs like the spiritual enrichment program.
- Use the booking sheet in the front lobby for the infrared sauna and outdoor therapies.
- Step outside your comfort zone. Don't fear the tears if they come.
- Drop your judgement. Everyone is there for a different reason and everyone is fighting some sort of battle.
- Have lots of baths and go for lots of walks.
- If you visit during the summer months, visit the crystal and rock shop in Bancroft.
- I suggest not 'sneaking' in coffee, wine or junk food. It takes away from the energy and intention.
- It's not just a spa hotel, it's a very special place that focuses on wellbeing - spiritual, emotional, physical, environmental, etc.
- If you can't sleep, go read in the Great Room.
They have a great little shop so be prepared to spend a little bit of money!
People travel from near and far to visit this place. The whole property is very special. It's in Bancroft, Ontario, about 2.5 hours north of Toronto. Bancroft is apparently known as the crystal capital of Canada.
Whether you're going for a mini-getaway or a soulful retreat, go with an open heart and mind.
Hi, I'm Jules; a multi-passion business woman, boss babe and entrepreneur; a mindful mom to 2 big girls and a baby girl, luxury travel and fitness lover, planner, organizer and lifestyle blogger. I live mid-town Toronto with my daughters. Any chance I can, I'm booking a vacation. I appreciate quality and love natural products!